We all know that the Conjuring 2 is based on true events that happened to the Hodgson family in 1977. Here are some spooky, fun and true facts of things that happened while making the film, behind the scenes and film screenings. Enjoy!
1. A priest was brought in to bless the set on the first day of shooting.
2. Members of the real Hogdson family visited the set. Frances O'Connor, who portrays their late mother, refused to meet them, as she feared it would affect her performance. You can see footage of the visit below!
3. It had the biggest opening weekend gross for a horror film in three years. The previous film being The Conjuring (2013).
4. The ghost boy that Lorraine sees when astral projecting in the beginning of the film, is based on a real picture of the infamous Amityville haunting. It was taken by Gene Campbell, photographer that worked with paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.
5. The original design of the evil entity was a dark demon with horns. Director 'James Wan' wanted to expand the story of Lorraine Warren having her faith questioned, so he redesigned the nun to resemble a holy icon. Therefore all scenes featuring the nun were added during reshoots. The original design can be seen at the end of the climax, when the demon is defeated.
6. The name of the demon "Valak" can be seen five times in the Warren's home. First during the scene at the table after Lorraine sees the painting Ed has painted - you can see the word Valak in the colorful bangles hanging from the window and also behind Lorraine (V pops out of the word 'love' and the rest of the name is written in wooden letters). Then when their daughter is making her bracelets, all three bracelets have 'Valak' spelled out on them. The fifth and final time was when Lorraine sleeps as her daughter plays, Valak is spelled out on the bookcase with large letter ornaments.
7. Did you spot the references to other movies in the Warren home? The doll from Annabelle and the music box from The Conjuring are seen amongst the basement collection. There is also a painting of the house from The Conjuring in Ed's office.
8. One of the real-life allegations that didn't feature in the movie, was that the Hodgson children's toys were thrown around and were too hot to touch.
9. At a film screening in India, a 65-year-old man started complaining of chest pains and fainted at the climax of the film. He was rushed to the hospital but was declared dead on arrival. Shortly after, the hospital staff transferred the body to a bigger hospital, where it could be properly examined. Neither the body or vehicle arrived in the hospital and haven’t seen since then.
10. A cinema about to have a showing of the film had a poster that said:
"WARNING: The film you are about to see is psychologically and emotionally disturbing. People who have attended early screenings of the film have complained about many unusual circumstances that they have experienced after seeing the film." And, to support the theory, added on the poster was "Due to our concern for your well-being, we have invited Father Perez to be here. He will be available after the film to provide spiritual support and/or conduct a personal blessing should you feel the need. Please do not hesitate to seek help. Ask a representative where you can sign up for a session with our priest."
Check out some of the behind the Scenes footage:
Watch Original behind the scenes footage- Enjoy!
Creepy right? Leave us a comment. Did you like the film? Do you know of any other creepy facts around this awesome film?
Wondered where is the Hodgson Family? Who lives in the house? Is it still haunted? Want to know what really happened in 1977? Stay tuned for our next post!
Author: Stephanie King