It finally feels like fall outside! In celebration, why not shake up your usual breakfast and make this recipe in celebration of autumn? I got the idea from my roommate who makes oatmeal every morning for breakfast. Last week she came home all excited because she had the idea of changing up her usual oatmeal for breakfast by making it pumpkin flavored. I liked the idea so much I thought I'd try it myself and share it with you. Feel free to play with the different spices as you like, e.g. maybe add a dash of cardamon ... Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 4 1/2 cups low fat milk, almond milk, OR water
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- Pepitas, Pecans, Cashews, Almonds, and/or Apple for garnish
- In a large saucepan over low heat, toast spices: nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, then add pumpkin and stir to combine.
- Add milk or water, raise heat and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Stir in oats, and simmer over medium heat until tender but not mushy, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer to bowls and top with pepitas, nuts, and/or chopped apples to serve
Adapted from the NY Times recipe.
By Rajmani Sinclair, October 3, 2016